A Brief History
The Bingham family moved to Dodge & River Road about 1897 from Colorado and before that Ogden, Utah. They farmed areas north of River Road including parts of the cemetery. River Road including parts of the cemetery.
They built tent houses initially, and then mud adobe houses. The small building used as a school/church is still standing on the north side of the Dodge/River intersection. Some members of the Harris family joined with them about 1899.
John Harris died in 1899 ,and Nephi & Jacob Bingham walked thru the desert to a spot on the north end of the cemetery, and Jacob, then 18, hand dug a grave.
Over the next 30 years a number of community members were buried in this location, even though this land was owned by the Bureau of Land Management. During the depression times the government opened much of this foothills land to homesteading.
A few years later an owner came to the church leaders and asked them to remove the buried remains, and stop burying people on his land.
The church leaders sent a representative to the state capitol to ask for assistance, and the BLM gave the land owner another land parcel, and sold the church the 40 acres which is now the cemetery
This was primarily used by the Binghampton community until the 70's, but has become an area wide LDS cemetery in the last few years.
There are approximately 1300 people buried at this time, and we are currently averaging about 1 burial per week.
This a private cemetery for LDS members and their families, although we have buried many family members who are not members.
The cemetery is owned and operated by the Binghampton Cemetery Association, a non-profit organization